In this episode, I guarantee you’ll learn at LEAST one new mind blowing concept about SEO. Or very possibly two. Or three. Probably more (listening back to this interview, I had a ton of light bulb moments myself).
Such as…. you know those studies that show longer content correlates with higher rankings? Well, maybe it’s not literally the length of the content – but rather because longer content ranks for more queries, and thus Google crawls it more often – and it’s actually that crawl frequency that keeps it ranking better.
Hmmm. Something to ponder!
Or did you know … those ‘crawl stats’ numbers you see in Search Console may not actually mean what you think they mean? I don’t want to give it away, so check out this awesome episode to find that out – and much more.
Dawn and I discussed crawl budget but also chatted about her speaking engagements – and a way to take your SEO to the next level – that not many people talk about.
I know I have a TON of ideas I can’t wait to apply to this site and my client’s sites.
I think you will too 🙂
Never miss a new show! Subscribe on iTunes.
BuzzSumo – One of my favorite tools for coming up with content ideas, finding people who share content in an industry, and tons more (like alerts to keep an eye on your competitor’s links). Also, check out their new Q&A tool Bloomberry. Listen to the show for a special code to get 30% off BuzzSumo for 3 months.
Show Agenda & Timestamps
- Dawn’s Marketing Background [2:40]
- Dawn’s Company: Move It Marketing [6:50]
- Dawn Typical Work Day [8:38]
- Prior Career [11:19]
- Crawling and Crawl Budget [13:08]
- How Does Google Determine when a Page is Important? [16:31]
- Insite Anchor Text Consistency [21:56]
- Duplicate Content Myth [24:23]
- Breadcrumbs [30:17]
- Log File Analysis Tools [36:33]
- Migration Impacts of Crawl Issues [45:04]
- Tips for Asking Googlers Questions [50:40]
- Twitter Poll on Speed Tools [51:56]
- Information Retrieval Events [55:18]
- How Much Time Making Slides for Speaking? [57:27]
- How To Make Dense Technical Topics More Interesting [59:13]
- How Did Dawn Land Her First Speaking Engagement? [1:02:18]
- MozCon Teaser [1:05:46]
- Dawn’s Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Website [1:07:40]
Related Episodes You Might Like
Articles & Online Resources
- Institute of Direct and Digital Marketing
- Myths, Facts, and Theories on Crawl Budget (full embed below)
- Why Crawl Budget Might Impact Rankings In Migrations
- All of Dawn’s Slides on Slideshare
- SEMrush Ranking Factors Study
- Detecting Duplicate and Near Duplicate Files (Patent)
- Eric Enge Interviews Gary Illyes
- Virtual Keynote With Gary Illyes
- Graph Structure of the Web
- Wisdom (Web Search & Data Mining) Conference
- European Summer School In Informational Retrieval
- Brighton SEO Conference
- MozCon Videos (after MozCon, Moz will post the video to Dawn’s presentation here, be sure to check back!)
People & Companies
Dawn’s Slides on Crawl Budget